Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 07:08
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
04 Jan 2024 06:44
Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 06:36
we swept the place clean of the not so good WR, and finally brought in better ones, only took like freaking forever :thwap:
That's Gutey for you. The guy can't seem to get out of his own way. Frustrating bloke.
plus he's short :rotf:
Someone needs to put together a chart/graph that shows the success rate of GMs and their height. Maybe we need a GM combine and grade them. Maybe I'll ask the RAS guy about that. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Jan 2024 10:29
Yoop is the only person asking for another 1K receiver. Most of us just knew Lazard was pretty shot and trotting him out there as a WR2 was an embarrassment.

If anything Gutenbumst showed how easy it is to get talent at the position. If you actually make any type of investment in it you get results.

As for Adams he should have gotten paid. Gutenbumst tried to play contractual hardball with him the year prior to his contract year and Adams said shove it, contracts talks are over and I’ll never play for you again.
Yeah it's so easy the Chiefs have been doing so well after trading Hill away and making lots of draft picks and signings there.

(WEREN'T YOU THE GUY who was applauding the Chiefs' WR moves??)

Wait, they're struggling? Huh. Oh well I guess Brett Veach is just a bad GM. All the GMs are just not as good and smart as me (oh wait, I applauded the moves that got them here --whoops!)

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 11:02
Labrev wrote:
04 Jan 2024 09:52
Okay, you have talked a lot of smack, now it's time to humble you guys.

Your thing has always been that we need proven great players, and often used stats and reputation as benchmarks. "Two 1k receivers! A real WR2 gets 1000!" even though 23 brought historical evidence that *very* few teams in league history actually had that.

Our top receiver, Reed, has 100 fewer yards than Lazard did last year.

My point is not that Lazard was better than or close to Reed in talent. My point is that you do not need a murderer's row of unbelievable talents, you do not even need one guy who dominates like Adams did.

We are getting it done right now with unproven raw talent guys with no national reputation in the way of accolades for being great. None are immediate sensations like your precious Jefftain Justinson. None have the career highlights of OBJ.

Our current group is not your model; it is MY model. I said WR should be a diversity-of-skills regime, not a fantasy football lineup. I said that a few weeks ago, and your reply was an incredulous "LABREV HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??"
your just echoing what I've said for years, ya don't need a Adams, what ya need is 2 or 3 that come close, our situation makes it harder to cover these 3 or 4 then it is to cover just 2, or just a Adams, this offense has the capability to be more explosive then 2019, 2020, or 2021 simple becaise more3 is bette.r then less as long as there not guys like Lazard.
No, this group was NOT built by the moves you wanted us to make.

WERENT YOU THE GUY who said, we need two 1k receivers? You said we need two 1k starting receivers.

You said we need to trade up for Jefferson Jefferson, burn multiple Day 2 picks if need be, and then wouldn't shut up about it for years. Okay, well there goes Love, the guy throwing to these WRs to make them look this good in the first place.

You said mid-round/Day 3 picks like "the stooges" do not count. Okay, so Doubs, Wicks, Heath, or Melton do not count.

You similarly would not count picks or signings at TE. Okay, so Musgrave and Kraft do not count.

Now you're backtracking with "ya don't need a Adams!" oh no no yoop :nono: you said, one Adams is not enough, that we need MORE of them!

The only moves we made that are in accord with what you wanted, namely to keep drafting WRs high, are Reed and Watson. That's it. Watson didn't even do much this year.

*I* was the one who said, it's fine to have just one elite player at WR if the rest just complement him with different skills. You freaked out at that take. Now you are trying to weasel out of it and say this was what you were advocating. TOH FUNNY!!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2024 10:05
Quite frankly I give so much credit of our collective recieving group having so much success to Jordan Love.

He just seems like a guy you want to play for. I have never seen/heard Love throw his receiver under the bus yet. Not in actual language or body language.
Most do there first year, GJ loved AR till GJ wanted more money, just wait till receivers screw up, QB's get upset when receivers screw up or act me, me, me, and thats how I want them to act, accountability matters.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Jan 2024 11:42
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop is the only person asking for another 1K receiver. Most of us just knew Lazard was pretty shot and trotting him out there as a WR2 was an embarrassment.

If anything Gutenbumst showed how easy it is to get talent at the position. If you actually make any type of investment in it you get results.

As for Adams he should have gotten paid. Gutenbumst tried to play contractual hardball with him the year prior to his contract year and Adams said shove it, contracts talks are over and I’ll never play for you again.
Yeah it's so easy the Chiefs have been doing so well after trading Hill away and making lots of draft picks and signings there.

Wait, they're struggling? Huh. Oh well I guess Brett Veach is just a bad GM. All the GMs are just not as good and smart as me (oh wait, I applauded the moves that got them here --whoops!)

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
04 Jan 2024 09:52
Okay, you have talked a lot of smack, now it's time to humble you guys.

Your thing has always been that we need proven great players, and often used stats and reputation as benchmarks. "Two 1k receivers! A real WR2 gets 1000!" even though 23 brought historical evidence that *very* few teams in league history actually had that.

Our top receiver, Reed, has 100 fewer yards than Lazard did last year.

My point is not that Lazard was better than or close to Reed in talent. My point is that you do not need a murderer's row of unbelievable talents, you do not even need one guy who dominates like Adams did.

We are getting it done right now with unproven raw talent guys with no national reputation in the way of accolades for being great. None are immediate sensations like your precious Jefftain Justinson. None have the career highlights of OBJ.

Our current group is not your model; it is MY model. I said WR should be a diversity-of-skills regime, not a fantasy football lineup. I said that a few weeks ago, and your reply was an incredulous "LABREV HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??"
your just echoing what I've said for years, ya don't need a Adams, what ya need is 2 or 3 that come close, our situation makes it harder to cover these 3 or 4 then it is to cover just 2, or just a Adams, this offense has the capability to be more explosive then 2019, 2020, or 2021 simple becaise more3 is bette.r then less as long as there not guys like Lazard.

WERENT YOU THE GUY who said, we need two 1k receivers? You said we need two 1k starting receivers.

You said we need to trade up for Jefferson Jefferson, burn multiple Day 2 picks if need be, and then wouldn't shut up about it for years. Okay, well there goes Love, the guy throwing to these WRs to make them look this good in the first place.

You said mid-round/Day 3 picks like "the stooges" do not count. Okay, so Doubs, Wicks, Heath, or Melton do not count.

You similarly would not count picks or signings at TE. Okay, so Musgrave and Kraft do not count.

Now you're backtracking with "ya don't need a Adams!" oh no no yoop :nono: you said, one Adams is not enough, that we need MORE of them!

The only moves we made that are in accord with what you wanted, namely to keep drafting WRs high, are Reed and Watson. That's it. Watson didn't even do much this year.

*I* was the one who said, it's fine to have just one elite player at WR if the rest just complement him with different skills. You freaked out at that take. Now you are trying to weasel out of it and say this was what you were advocating. TOH FUNNY!!
just keep taking what I say out of context, :thwap: they don't have to both be 1K receivers, in fact they don't have to even be 900 yrders, as long as you have 3 or 4 that do 600 yrds.

and this year being rookies I don't expect that anyway, though we see rookie WR getting 1K every year, Watson healthy would have gotten that from Rodgers last season, same with Reed this year.

Rodgers had to carry this offense for years, whats tooooo funny, is that was acceptable to you

Chiefs drafted Rasheed Rice, a year late, but he looks good, and Kelce had a down season.
Last edited by Yoop on 04 Jan 2024 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 12:44
go pak go wrote:
Quite frankly I give so much credit of our collective recieving group having so much success to Jordan Love.

He just seems like a guy you want to play for. I have never seen/heard Love throw his receiver under the bus yet. Not in actual language or body language.
Most do there first year, GJ loved AR till GJ wanted more money, just wait till receivers screw up, QB's get upset when receivers screw up or act me, me, me, and thats how I want them to act, accountability matters.
Oh I am absolutely not naive to the fact that dynamics change once the collective sees success.

There was something oh so special in that 2009 - 2011 offense that became not as special in 2012 and beyond I once the fame, money, ego etc came swooping in.

I'm just excited we are living the fun times again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

2012 was the beginning of the era where Rodgers started to become less and less likeable, not only to fans but to players. I think I remember Donald Driver saying to him "Don't forget where you came from" on his way out. It wasn't always accountability. Rodgers is a dick, but was really good at football.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 12:51
Labrev wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Yoop wrote:

just keep taking what I say out of context, :thwap: they don't have to both be 1K receivers, in fact they don't have to even be 900 yrders, as long as you have 3 or 4 that do 600 yrds.

and this year being rookies I don't expect that anyway, though we see rookie WR getting 1K every year, Watson healthy would have gotten that from Rodgers last season, same with Reed this year.

Rodgers had to carry this offense for years, whats tooooo funny, is that was acceptable to you
We have 2 WR that surpassed 600 yards. Not 3 - 4.

Reed has only missed one game. So his sub 700 yard season truly is after 15 of 16 games.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Oh I am absolutely not naive to the fact that dynamics change once the collective sees success.

There was something oh so special in that 2009 - 2011 offense that became not as special in 2012 and beyond I once the fame, money, ego etc came swooping in.

nothing changed in 2012 except the defense declined, your opinion that players change once they have success is so ambiguous, some do, most don't, we've always known that some WR's and CB's become prima donna's, nothing at all new about that, you categorize them as though all automatically become that way, they don't.

Alexander had a valid reason to be upset, he didn't have a valid reason to take it to the extremes he did, I have no problem at all for the reason Alexander is upset though, none.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2024 12:54
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

We have 2 WR that surpassed 600 yards. Not 3 - 4.

Reed has only missed one game. So his sub 700 yard season truly is after 15 of 16 games.
so what, we both know the season didn't start well for any of these receivers or for Love either after Chicago.

again we went 8 years drafting mid round receivers, and the only one that amounted to really anything was MVS, and him only because he had speed.

in 2 drafts using higher draft picks Guty rebuilt the position, after 8 years of floundering around which amounted to Rodgers getting basically zipe when it comes to skill position players, while most resources went into building a bottom third defense.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:

I think a lot of people are oblivious or just ignore context, situations etc to fit their ideals. Last year, different board and so much about AR and his looks and disgust and attitude and we should all look to guys like Mahomes, because he's all team, no excuses, full of positivity etc. Oh, BTW he's over a decade younger, hitting the prime of his career, and coming off a super bowl trophy with a team doing everything right. Vs a guy with a young team needing lots of growth around him making the same mistakes week after week watching what time he has left slip away and couldn't understand the frustration.

A year later, I wonder if they have the same perception of Mahomes after hitting a small skid and start screaming at players, coaches, blaming refs, sour face galore LOL. Just wait until he's had to do that for a couple seasons.

We saw the beginning, the middle, and the end of greatness. We're back at the beginning again, it is different. For everyone. yet it is so much the same as it was before. Watching these guys come together as a team. Been some highs and some definite lows, but there was always great effort and watching the grow has been pretty cool so far. I think this continues for a while and things will look a certain way and when the time and the situations have changed, how it looks will also change.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
EAT your words!
Yoop wrote:
17 Oct 2023 14:10
sorry, I don't understand for anyone to accept that because of those stats we should accept that as the bench mark for a #2, I know I don't, I want a offense with 2 receivers that go over a 1000 yrds, in fact I expect that every season,
Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 11:23
you bet I do, using a 2nd round pick on a WR every other year or so is how a offense remains competitive, big chunk offenses dominate this league and have for over 30 years :lol:
Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 08:11
our offense needed a walk on ready receiver in 2018 not a bunch of mid round groomers.
:twisted:
I trust I don't need to bring a quote of your crowing over Justin Justintintintin, too many such posts to count and everyone knows you did.
No, what's funny is you not knowing that QBs are literally paid the big bucks BECAUSE they carry teams.

The top QBs are literally paid more money than multiple players on the roster combined. It only makes sense to do that if they carry your team. Otherwise, there is no point. You can instead just make Ryan Fitzpatrick your QB for a fraction of the price and surround him with amazing skill players on O. That will get you a lot of production.

A QB that needs his wideouts to "help" him produce... is a bad QB.
Chiefs drafted Rasheed Rice, a year late, but he looks good, and Kelce had a down season.
So are you now going to claim Brett Veach is a bad GM? :lol:
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 13:07
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

nothing changed in 2012 except the defense declined, your opinion that players change once they have success is so ambiguous, some do, most don't, we've always known that some WR's and CB's become prima donna's, nothing at all new about that, you categorize them as though all automatically become that way, they don't.

Alexander had a valid reason to be upset, he didn't have a valid reason to take it to the extremes he did, I have no problem at all for the reason Alexander is upset though, none.
Offense also declined in 2012 and didn't recover until Week 4 of 2014.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Jan 2024 13:28
No, what's funny is you not knowing that QBs are literally paid the big bucks BECAUSE they carry teams.

The top QBs are literally paid more money than multiple players on the roster combined. It only makes sense to do that if they carry your team. Otherwise, there is no point. You can instead just make Ryan Fitzpatrick your QB for a fraction of the price and surround him with amazing skill players on O. That will get you a lot of production.

A QB that needs his wideouts to "help" him produce... is a bad QB.
takes more then just any ol QB to produce success, having more skill position talent just makes it easier, they don't just select MVP's based on quality supporting cast, or why would Purdy's name even make the list? cause he's better then I think most give him credit for.

never needed to be 2 1K receivers even though thats what I said, the whole freaking point was to have a #2 more like a #2 versus a bunch of #4's vying for the #3 spot, the drop off from Adams to the next guy was to steep, plus we didn't have a receiving TE.

Give that &%$@ show to Jarrod Lov

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
04 Jan 2024 14:00
Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 13:07
go pak go wrote:

Offense also declined in 2012 and didn't recover until Week 4 of 2014.
Yup. I believe the boo birds came out at Lambeau when we were down 21 to 3 vs the Jets in 2014. Came back but then laid another egg in Detroit the following week.

Then R-E-L-A-X
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This entire conversation is just frustrating as it is always accompanied by moving of the goalposts. Plus is started by a chest pounding due to a misrepresentation of a perceived slight...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2024 14:11
never needed to be 2 1K receivers even though thats what I said, the whole freaking point was to have a #2 more like a #2 versus a bunch of #4's vying for the #3 spot, the drop off from Adams to the next guy was to steep, plus we didn't have a receiving TE.

Give that &%$@ show to Jarrod Lov
"Jarrod Lov" has shown how bankrupt your opinion is.

Under Rodgers, you called it malpractice to make him rely on rookies like Watson and Doubs for stretches, you called it malpractice to make the QB play with mid-round picks, and you pooh-pooh'd the TE help we brought in like it did not exist.

But then Love had to make do with the same, minus Jones, no running game that scares defenses... and HE SUCCEEDED.

Now that it has worked out you are acting like your opinion was vindicated, which I could let slide, then you go talking &%$@ and insulting others' intelligence for disagreeing with you on this in the past when IN REALITY, this is what *I* advocated for and YOU argued against.

You also complained that MVS who had close to 700 yards one year, Lazard who had close to 800 another year, Tonyan who was productive in 2020, Cobb who came back to give him a security blanket guy in 2021 since that's oh-so-important, and Jones who gives you a running game that scares defenses... all of that is not good enough to have next to a 1500-yard receiver, they are #4s, not #2s.

Yet you are going gaga over Reed for barely more than MVS's career high and less than Lazard's career high with us, that THIS is what a real #2 looks like. Utterly ridiculous.
Last edited by Labrev on 04 Jan 2024 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

You know it's a bad thread when you have to scroll up to figure out what topic you clicked into. Ah, the Jordan Love thread. Neat. Wouldn't have guessed, honestly.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Gute has been a good GM until he wasn't, but then he was good again, then not so great, then good.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Jan 2024 15:11
et you are going gaga over Reed for barely more than MVS's career high and less than Lazard's career high with us, that THIS is what a real #2 looks like. Utterly ridiculous.
you act like this bunch of rookies and 2nd year receivers are at there ceiling, and that how this season and there health didn't rob them of more production to start the season.

this is how a GM should stock this position and if we had just maybe we'd have won more PO games, ya right, lets just blame the ol QB.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It doesn't matter what their ceiling is, it matters how they are playing this year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."