Joe Barry is out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

The Green Bay Packers have hired Dom Capers as Defensive Coordinator
RIP JustJeff

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Coughlin's Law: Anything else is always something better.

I think Barry was a mediocre at best coordinator. I hope they can find a game changer. We have a set enough offense that GB can once again put the majority of it's draft and FA towards the defense to get the new staff what they need.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:20
The Green Bay Packers have hired Dom Capers as Defensive Coordinator
Remember when I said you should post more? Ya, not anymore. 8-)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think thats one reason i was soft toward uncle Joe. He seemed like a really good dude.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anyone know of a site or anywhere that would track individual candidates?

Thinking of Evero. Believe he's had 2nd HC interivews in Carolina and Atlanta. Panthers made Tabor their interim HC over Evero. If they pass him up twice, interim and HC, can't imagine he'd be excited about staying on as DC. Seems like Atlanta has had 2nd interviews with like 20 different candidates.

Also saw they blocked Jacksonville from interviewing him for a DC job.

Did he interview anywhere else?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

My guess is you go and get a DC that wants to run a man scheme. We have all man defenders on this team.

Jaire and Valentine are both man CBs. Stokes I think is better in man only because he’s bad at playing the ball. You don’t want Quay in Zones. He gets lost. If you keep Campbell and he can come back healthy and truly hasn’t lost a step he’s better in man.

If you find a nickel guy that can also man up you’ve got a team that can excel in that scheme. I’m not a big fan of man coverage in todays NFL but we have a lot of players that are best suited for it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I really respect the Ravens, there defense is consistently good to great, a name we had on our list that may be available is Chris Hewitt, would hope we interview a coach connected to that success, doubt I remember ever seeing the Ravens in a prevent design at any point in any game, and certainly not in the first 50 minutes.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I was just telling someone today you know it's time to change DC when at the end of a game you hope and pray that the defense will make a stop. Fans in SF expected their defense to make a stop. Huge difference.

Evero is a good choice if we can get him. Agree with the Ravens connection also. But, I wouldn't mind someone from KC or Buffalo either. I like the Jim Johnson style of defense.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:22
I think thats one reason i was soft toward uncle Joe. He seemed like a really good dude.
I've heard Mo Drayton may have been an even better dude.

Maybe MLF needs to hire an asshat to come in and do the job, because I don't know how many more good guys but bad coordinators I can take.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 08:23
I didn't feel strongly that we needed to can him, but I gotta say, seeing this headline brought a smile to my face.
Ditto. He is good when he let's the guys play, he just doesn't do that nearly often enough

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:47
Drj820 wrote:

Maybe MLF needs to hire an asshat to come in and do the job, because I don't know how many more good guys but bad coordinators I can take.
I def like my DCs to be nasty and Aholes.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
I was just telling someone today you know it's time to change DC when at the end of a game you hope and pray that the defense will make a stop. Fans in SF expected their defense to make a stop. Huge difference.

Evero is a good choice if we can get him. Agree with the Ravens connection also. But, I wouldn't mind someone from KC or Buffalo either. I like the Jim Johnson style of defense.
I just read this, doesn't it sound like something we don't want to do any more? times change, and I expect that Johnsone would go about this differently, better designed blitzing, more man coverage, but it does sound a lot like the the stuff of the coach we just fired.

Johnson believed that limiting big plays was the key to good defense. If an offense was going to beat you, you had to force them to methodically march the ball down the field. He thought that the longer a drive went on, the more likely it was the offense would make a mistake.Jul 16, 2017

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2024 10:41
packman114 wrote:

I just read this, doesn't it sound like something we don't want to do any more? times change, and I expect that Johnsone would go about this differently, better designed blitzing, more man coverage, but it does sound a lot like the the stuff of the coach we just fired.

Johnson believed that limiting big plays was the key to good defense. If an offense was going to beat you, you had to force them to methodically march the ball down the field. He thought that the longer a drive went on, the more likely it was the offense would make a mistake.Jul 16, 2017
Yes but McDermott and Spags are much better at creating pressure than Barry. You can have a bend don't break philosophy but you still need a DC who can make in game calls that create pressure and keep the offense guessing. To me that is Barry's weakness, his in game play-calling.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Wow!

Didn't think MLF/Gute had the huevos to make the move! Glad to hear they do and are going forward to find a better DC.

I thought Barry saved himself based upon past actions and decisions by the organization. Glad to see they're as dissatisfied with Joe's overall performance as the rest of us!

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I think my favorite Barry moment was the Giants QB getting canned two weeks before putting up massive stats against us.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:banana:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I heard the news and came here to congratulate everyone!

I had been a Barry defender for most of his tenure, but I even flipped down the stretch when it was just bad QB after bad QB lighting us up. And that tweet about the list of QBs who had career days against is just too true. I thought he did enough to save his job, since our defense really played well in the last 4 games, including against 2 of the best offenses in the league. But I am fine with this move.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

LombardiTime wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah, I put it in a different thread but I was thinking about it and decided I really want an Xs and Os smart guy kind of DC as opposed to a rah-rah asshole ex-player. But then I realized we have done the soft spoken Xs and Os DC shtick for what like 30 years now and it has never worked except that one random season where we finished 1st and won the SB (which was later shown to be a fluke, but I will take it certainly).

So all that is to say - give me Ray Lewis!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

GEnX01oXAAAomqn.jpeg
GEnX01oXAAAomqn.jpeg (185.94 KiB) Viewed 553 times