Let The Hirings Begin!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 09:53
BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:54
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:51
Youve gotta have some insane level of self confidence to take that Panthers job.
Eh, go from making ~800k a year and someone dangles about a $40M guaranteed contract in your face. Sign me up.
I get that but that type of job can be a career killer. You arent set up for success there and a failure could mean even in the best of circumstances you have to spend another 10 years working your way up to another HC gig.

But I hear you. The money is crazy. I dont know how I would react to that offer but I dont think I would jump at a team that quite literally has nothing going for it. Even this draft they dont pick until 33rd overall and only have 4 picks in the draft as things stand.
$40 million guaranteed. Coach 14 games. Retire.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
30 Jan 2024 20:06
He apparently went from a $10m HC salary demand to sticking with his OC pay and being good with it.
More on Ben Johnson here... apparently he wanted the Chargers gig

IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Only 1 HC hire up for grabs.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 12:21

I was afraid of this. Orr goes to Seattle with McDonald. Wilson is promoted to DC in Baltimore.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2024 12:23
Pckfn23 wrote:

I was afraid of this. Orr goes to Seattle with McDonald. Wilson is promoted to DC in Baltimore.
I dont know if Orr goes to be a DC that doesnt call the defense over a position in which he would.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So Baltimore and Seattle both very likely to peg some of that Baltimore staff to be their DC.

I think Orr would make a ton of sense in Seattle, DC in title only and MacDonald does the play calling?

Otherwise if MacDonald doesn't call plays, then I'd predict Wilson might get that job in Seattle.

fwiw

Might trust Mertig more than this account.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Our DC position comes with play-calling, Seattle's probably won't, and there are lots of guys in the mix for the vacancy opened up in Baltimore, not just Wilson and Orr (Weaver seems like the favorite and Hewitt might also be a candidate).

NYG has heavy interest in Wilson though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yeah, I'd think the GB DC position is a heckuva lot more attractive than the Seattle DC position. In GB, they'd have full autonomy and receive full credit for whatever success the defense has. In Seattle, being Macdonald's DC would be like being the OC in GB. Everybody knows it's Lafluer calling the offensive shots.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Labrev wrote:
31 Jan 2024 13:07
Our DC position comes with play-calling, Seattle's probably won't, and there are lots of guys in the mix for the vacancy opened up in Baltimore, not just Wilson and Orr (Weaver seems like the favorite and Hewitt might also be a candidate).

NYG has heavy interest in Wilson though.
Hopefully he’s smart enough to call up Wink and gets cold feet.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Wink is a good DC. He is a totally opposite personality than Lafleur. Not sure if that would be a positive, or if they would clash. But Wink is a good DC.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Jan 2024 12:40
go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2024 12:23
Pckfn23 wrote:

I dont know if Orr goes to be a DC that doesnt call the defense over a position in which he would.
Orr is like 31 years old. It's probably best to be DC with a mentor rather than be thrown into a DC role where he runs the whole show.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pretty surprised Washington still hasn’t hired someone. Can’t imagine they want anyone from SF or KC.

They do have the #2 pick in the draft and should get one of the two best QB prospects to come out in half a decade, and a new, not crazy, not detrimental, owner.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Denard Wilson to Tennessee.

But fun to see if we made the right decision passing him up. He’s not in Baltimore or Seattle, figured he’d have preferred GB or Tennessee.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 06:52

But fun to see if we made the right decision passing him up. He’s not in Baltimore or Seattle, figured he’d have preferred GB or Tennessee.
I'd think the interview process exposed that Wilson wasn't quite the right guy, Matt (for all we know) could have even spoken to Hafley prior, or his brother, Saleah, etc really impressed him that Hafley was the better prospect, just spiffing.

Lafleur also imho wants the ability to interject his opinions and them be accepted, not that that wasn't the case with Barry, just that it seemed like push came to shove, the changes our defense took the last 4 or 5 games seemed 180 from prior Barry, I'am just guessing but that seemed like a Lafleur mandate :idn:

everyone learns from mistakes, or they disappear never to be heard from again, Lafleur has had a attacking style with Pettine, and the reactive style of Barry, hoping Hafley is a mix of both, there is a time for prevent, also time to be ultra aggressive.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 06:52

The timing is interesting. It makes you wonder if Wilson had committed to TN thus prompting the Packers to move on Hafley or perhaps the other way around? I think the latter more likely as Hafley wasn’t on anybody else’s radar thus the Packers had no reason to rush an announcement.

In other words, it seems the Packers chose Hafley over Wilson.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't think we can know, without multiple sources leaking and confirming, the order of operations here.

Wilson was in demand. Orr is thought to be following MacDonald to Seattle. Weaver is likely taking over in Baltimore (nut those last two are as-of-yet unknown). Wilson, I believe, had 2 interviews with the Giants was clearly the preferred candidate in Tennessee. He might not have chosen us or we might not have chosen him or both.

The Parker offer rumors never made sense. But we clearly liked him in the process. But as he hasn't landed anywhere else yet and we made a hire, we clearly preferred Hafley to him.

Worth noting that MLF was allegedly our second choice that HC cycle, and that worked out just fine. So I personally don't care if he was our first or second choice. I only care if he turns out good.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Feb 2024 07:48
Worth noting that MLF was allegedly our second choice that HC cycle, and that worked out just fine.
I never heard that. Do you know who the alleged first choice was?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I don't think we can know, without multiple sources leaking and confirming, the order of operations here.

Wilson was in demand. Orr is thought to be following MacDonald to Seattle. Weaver is likely taking over in Baltimore (nut those last two are as-of-yet unknown). Wilson, I believe, had 2 interviews with the Giants was clearly the preferred candidate in Tennessee. He might not have chosen us or we might not have chosen him or both.

The Parker offer rumors never made sense. But we clearly liked him in the process. But as he hasn't landed anywhere else yet and we made a hire, we clearly preferred Hafley to him.

Worth noting that MLF was allegedly our second choice that HC cycle, and that worked out just fine. So I personally don't care if he was our first or second choice. I only care if he turns out good.
not sure, but it seems Staley was the only DC prospect that uses a variation of the Fangio schemes, Hafley, Parker, Babich and the rest all coached under a more aggressive cord?

anyway I think scheme change was a top consideration along with ability to work with a guy that also had some years in as a coach in the NFL as well as HC in college, organizational skills matter, I think due diligence went into this, this seems like a well thought out hire, bravo :clap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
01 Feb 2024 08:46
YoHoChecko wrote:
Worth noting that MLF was allegedly our second choice that HC cycle, and that worked out just fine.
I feel like it was either Adam Gase or Brian Flores, but I don't remember. I did my best to dismiss those rumors as angry fans because their guy didn't get the gig, but since MLF was one of my top choices (admittedly, Flores was ahead of him on my short list, but I was big and early on MLF as a QB guru).

But I do recall it swirling around. Smoke, but no clear evidence of fire.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Feb 2024 09:28
Labrev wrote:
01 Feb 2024 08:46
YoHoChecko wrote:
I feel like it was either Adam Gase or Brian Flores, but I don't remember. I did my best to dismiss those rumors as angry fans because their guy didn't get the gig, but since MLF was one of my top choices (admittedly, Flores was ahead of him on my short list, but I was big and early on MLF as a QB guru).

But I do recall it swirling around. Smoke, but no clear evidence of fire.
Todd Monken (SP) was in the final group to if memory serves, I remember we interviewed a bunch of prospects prior to the Lafleur hiring, It was the same with McCarthy, we don't seem to suffer from lack of do diligence, our HC coaching hires have almost always been pretty good ( Rhodes, ouch).

so hard to cord a great defense, if ya don't have the players that coincide with scheme needs, your going to have a rough go of it, and adjusting to fit personal means you deviated from a plan you thought would work, some succeed, many don't :idn: