Super Bowl LVIII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who

Chiefs
35%
49ers
6%
Packers could beat both
29%
Fire LaCoach
6%
We got this next year
24%

Total votes: 17

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I haven't read the seven pages of comments yet. I'll just dive in here. Hope I don't repeat too much of what's already been said.

1. I thought Purdy played well enough to win. But a figgy at the end wasn't enough against Mahomes.
2. Fred Warner and Chris Jones are worth the watch by themselves. Both true stars. They bring an elite game whenever they play and this weekend was no exception.
3. I can't say anything about Mahomes that hasn't already been said. I just enjoy watching him too.
4. One blocked XP was enough to swing the game. That's the smallest of margins. Reason enough to play hard every snap, no matter how far ahead or behind you are.
5. Strange how the Niners came back from deficits the previous two games, but then they lose at the last against the Chiefs.
6. Reid finally got to call some of his special plays. And when he did, you could feel the momentum shifting. He's really a good HC.

I thought our 2023 Packers could've competed very well yesterday against either of them.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packers were the only team to score more than 24 on the Chiefs.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 13 Feb 2024 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2024 18:02
Packers were the only team to score more an 24 of the Chiefs.
Yes, they played one of their best games against them.

That loss(niners) is still hard to take because I think most people realize this past years team in the end, was good enough. Its how good they were playing and coming together. Hopefully a little more experience and fine tuning in Love and we will be right there again next year. Everyone thought the packers were a shoe in to go to at least one more super bowl with Rodgers after the 2010 team won it. They never got back. That was a wild card team that got hot that year also. Here's to hoping history doesn't repeat it self in that respect. I suppose one could look at it as, this loss(niners) was the Arizona game we lost in the playoffs and next year we won it :banana: Anyway I couldn't be more pumped for next year after watching this super bowl and knowing we were that close and had beaten some good teams.

Go Pack GO in 2024-25!!!!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Feb 2024 18:22

That loss(niners) is still hard to take because I think most people realize this past years team in the end, was good enough.
I disagree. This team was talented enough to go the distance, but I would not say they were good enough yet. It is not enough to be very talented in the playoffs, you need to play sound football or the experienced teams will beat you on your miscues.

Our game against SF showed that we are not there yet, and then they did not beat KC despite having playoff experience and better talent.

Similarly I think KC would have proven much tougher as a SuperBowl opponent than they did in our house in the regular season. I mean we got lucky they didn't call that PI on Valentine. You give Mahomes a play like that and he will change the outcome.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 19:03
MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Feb 2024 18:22

That loss(niners) is still hard to take because I think most people realize this past years team in the end, was good enough.
I disagree. This team was talented enough to go the distance, but I would not say they were good enough yet. It is not enough to be very talented in the playoffs, you need to play sound football or the experienced teams will beat you on your miscues.

Our game against SF showed that we are not there yet, and then they did not beat KC despite having playoff experience and better talent.

Similarly I think KC would have proven much tougher as a SuperBowl opponent than they did in our house in the regular season. I mean we got lucky they didn't call that PI on Valentine. You give Mahomes a play like that and he will change the outcome.
Basically thats exactly what i said in a little different way. They were in the game and could have won. I mentioned getting experience and fine tuning could put them over the top.

KC probably would have beaten us in the SB because Mahomes is so clutch and has been there before. The Packers are good enough to play with the big boys. Thats just a fact because it happened.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Feb 2024 12:33
The Packers need a safety and an ILB and maybe a RB and swing OT. That is not a big job in a draft. This year's draft does not need to be as good as the 2023 draft but if it is good then the Packers are as good as any other team and only possible injuries stand in their way to bringing the Lombardi Trophy home.

There is nothing special about either the 49'ers of Chiefs. There could be about the 2024 Packers.
From what I hear this incoming draft class isn't great if you are looking for safeties. Perhaps Gute can find one in FA?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Feb 2024 15:03
I thought for sure we were going to be able to trade for Antonio Brown for a 7th round pick after Jordy Nelson got hurt. Can't believe we didn't pull that off.
What happened there? I don't remember. Did Brown get traded? :idn:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Papa John wrote:
12 Feb 2024 17:13
Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 16:13
Wild stat....
That '69 Jets defense doesn't get enough credit IMO. Namath gets all of the glory because of his guarantee, but that defense won the game for them (and Namath admits that).
Haven't you heard? The defense doesn't win the Super Bowl. Only QB's do.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

And on a "It's hard to believe but true" note. No team that ever lost to Kirk Cousins in the regular season has ever won a Super Bowl in that season. I wonder if there is any other QB that has that record.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
Wild stat....

The 1968 Jets defense had Pro Bowlers.

MLB Al Atkinson
RDE Verlon Biggs
HB Emerson Boozer
RDT John Elliott
RG Dave Herman
LT Winston Hill
FL Don Maynard
QB Joe Namath
LDE Gerry Philbin
SE George Sauer
K Jim Turner

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Wild stat....
That '69 Jets defense doesn't get enough credit IMO. Namath gets all of the glory because of his guarantee, but that defense won the game for them (and Namath admits that).
defense dominated the small ball era, once Don Coryall unleashed the spread offensive passing attack offense has dominated, jmo.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

packman114 wrote:
12 Feb 2024 10:43
My thoughts on the game.
  • Kyle Shanahan taught MLF well. They both give up on the run way too early. Andy Reid kept running Pacheco even though it wasn't gaining much. You need to keep good defenses guessing.

Can't just be good, also need to get the breaks. Punt off the Niners foot was the key play of the game IMHO.

Losing Greenlaw on a freak injury really hurt SF. Not sure Kelce has all those catches if Greenlaw stay healthy.
Kudos to KC and Mahomes. He made the plays when needed the most.
good analysis
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2024 07:54
Papa John wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Wild stat....
defense dominated the small ball era, once Don Coryall unleashed the spread offensive passing attack offense has dominated, jmo.
Offense didn't dominate because of Air Coryell. Moving the hashes in unleashed the running game. And multiple changes to pass defense rules and QB protection turned the game into a shooting gallery.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
13 Feb 2024 08:47
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2024 07:54
Papa John wrote:

Offense didn't dominate because of Air Coryell. Moving the hashes in unleashed the running game. And multiple changes to pass defense rules and QB protection turned the game into a shooting gallery.
and Don Coryell took advantage of those changes, Christ the guy is known for the spread offenses that we saw the last 20 years, in fact the most potent offenses of any era are a result of spread formations, how does moving the hashes have anything to do with run success?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pugger wrote:
12 Feb 2024 19:46
Acrobat wrote:
I thought for sure we were going to be able to trade for Antonio Brown for a 7th round pick after Jordy Nelson got hurt. Can't believe we didn't pull that off.
LOL no I was just being facetious because Brown was the best WR in football at that time, and yoop was making it seem like it was easy to just pull off a trade for an elite WR after Jordy went down.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
13 Feb 2024 09:34
Pugger wrote:
12 Feb 2024 19:46
Acrobat wrote:
LOL no I was just being facetious because Brown was the best WR in football at that time, and yoop was making it seem like it was easy to just pull off a trade for an elite WR after Jordy went down.
I new it was sarcasm, so why respond, whats so dense from most of you is expecting that WE, us fans, should know who is or was available, trades happen all the time and no one other then inside people ever see those trades coming, ever have a inkling about said player till the deal is done.

and we see deals done like that if the GM is serious about fixing a broken position through out every season, whats obvious is that when it happened, and for years after our GM's weren't very serious about fixing that position, well at least till the 2022 draft

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I think we would have crushed either of those teams. There were a lot of drives which didn't end with points, and that's not really a concept our offense understood towards the end of the year, so I think we would have beaten either of them.

That said, our defense frequently also didn't understand the concept of ending a drive a without points, so maybe we would have let up a lot more than 22 or 25.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
13 Feb 2024 16:22
I think we would have crushed either of those teams. There were a lot of drives which didn't end with points, and that's not really a concept our offense understood towards the end of the year, so I think we would have beaten either of them.

That said, our defense frequently also didn't understand the concept of ending a drive a without points, so maybe we would have let up a lot more than 22 or 25.
I agree. The Packers either needed 1 of those dropped interception to be caught or Tom to not get hurt or that 4th down failure to pick up a half yard to be successful or Watson to be 100%. They went 0-4 and lost a very winnable game. But they are still a very good and very young team and overachieved this season. Love is already an above average QB and they have the best group of WR's and TE's in the league, a new DC and should do better next season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I too believe the Packers would have been SB champs.

The team I was most afraid of was Baltimore and they sh*t their pants.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.