Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Kris Richard is out. He'll be the Saints new secondary coach.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2021 11:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 11:47
I like Jim Leonard, but I don't think he is ready. He had 1 really good season and hasn't been able to replicate that. I am not ready to crown him, yet.
And I don't think he wants to go to the Pros, not yet anyway. Even other college programs have been able to lure him away. But worth talking to.
If he wasn't considering it, he wouldn't interview.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 12:21
paco wrote:
02 Feb 2021 11:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 11:47
I like Jim Leonard, but I don't think he is ready. He had 1 really good season and hasn't been able to replicate that. I am not ready to crown him, yet.
And I don't think he wants to go to the Pros, not yet anyway. Even other college programs have been able to lure him away. But worth talking to.
If he wasn't considering it, he wouldn't interview.
True, might just be dipping the toe in the water. :idn:
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2021 12:22
I can already hear how this is an outrage and how bad we will be because we didn't include Wade Phillips...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I actually interpreted Phillips's tweet from a few days ago as saying, "Guys, Matt will probably not hire me, but relax."
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think age has to do with this as much as anything else, Matt wants a DC he doesn't have to replace ina year or two, what HC wants to interview a bunch of prospects again so soon, not as though he wouldn't like to be doing something else, and lis, Wade will want a voice in the draft room and sure as crap wont want a young coach like Lafluer telling him how to run his defense, and the way Matt talked that would be a deal breaker because he does want a voice in how this defense is run.

I like Wade Phillips, he's a no nonsense type guy, sorta in the mold of the two coaches in the SB this year, my way or the highway is actually a good thing when it comes to football.

saying that though, there are a ton of very good young coaches for Matt to chose from, and ya don't have to have years and years of experience and know every little ity bitty facet of defense to be good, ya just have to know what works NOW.

I'am busier then a parapalegic with the &%$@, or I'd try and do more research on some of these prospects, so please keep bringing all the info guys :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Kris Richard is out, took the Saints DB coaching gig.

I was not overly big on him, tbh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Those who are championing Wade Phillips. You do realise he has rather subtly turned down the opportunity to interview with the Packers? And do you also realise that he is 74 years old right?

Being an NFL defensive coordinator is a highly demanding job which requires high energy levels and time commitment. Phillips has been out of the game for 2 years and jumping back in at 74 years old and expecting it to be smooth sailing is highly unrealistic.

Face it guys, he's done. :bkw:

There are an alternative option if you badly want a Wade Phillips type defence. Ryan Nielsen from the Saints has worked under Dennis Allen who once upon a time worked started his NFL coaching career under Wade Phillips. There's also Eijero Evero and Joe Barry who also worked under Wade Phillips at the Rams. The good news is LaFleur has interviewed them all.

Anyway i'm a little underwhemed with our interview candidates so far,

Joe Barry was defensive coordinator with the 0-16 Detriot Lions.
Matt Burke was Miami coordinator and had a highly talented unit that completely under performed ranking 29th in total defence.
Bob Sutton was pushed out of Kansas in the same manner as Pettine for under performing in the playoffs. He's also 70.
Jerry Gray and Kris Richard had unremarkable stints as coordinator.
Chris Kiffin and Chris Harris are way too inexperienced imo to be seriously considered.

Only Jim Leonhard and Ejiro Evero stands out among the group. Perhaps Ryan Nielsen somewhat too.

I did a bit of research over at FF and came up with a list of candidates. There were some names that stood out for me:

Jim Leonhard, Kris Richard, Chris Hewitt, Dave Merritt, Brendan Daly, Ejiro Evero, Larry Foote, Jerod Mayo, Kacy Rodgers, Jerome Henderson and Todd Wash

I noticed 8 out of those 11 names I was looking at are black and I wondered if it hinted towards the higher likelihood our next coordinator would be black.

But so far looking at the names of confirmed interviews only 3 out of 9 candidates are black (not counting Kris Richard - not yet confirmed) which is a bit disappointing but this can always change quickly as the coordinator search goes on.

Historically I think the Packers really do need to do better. The Packers never had a black head coach in their history. As for coordinators you have to go all the way back to 1999 when we had both black offensive and defensive coordinators. We didn't hire one again for a long time until Edgar Bennett. At the very least we should be incorporating more black coaches in our interviews.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I wouldn’t be upset if it was Phillips but he’s not at the top of my list. The time to hire him was years ago.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Chilli wrote:
02 Feb 2021 14:13
Those who are championing Wade Phillips. You do realise he has rather subtly turned down the opportunity to interview with the Packers? And do you also realise that he is 74 years old right?

Being an NFL defensive coordinator is a highly demanding job which requires high energy levels and time commitment. Phillips has been out of the game for 2 years and jumping back in at 74 years old and expecting it to be smooth sailing is highly unrealistic.

There are an alternative option if you badly want a Wade Phillips type defence. Ryan Nielsen from the Saints has worked under Dennis Allen who once upon a time worked started his NFL coaching career under Wade Phillips. There's also Eijero Evero and Joe Barry who also worked under Wade Phillips at the Rams. The good news is LaFleur has interviewed them all.

Matt Burke was Miami coordinator and had a highly talented unit that completely under performed ranking 29th in total defence.
Bob Sutton was pushed out of Kansas in the same manner as Pettine for under performing in the playoffs. He's also 70.
Chris Kiffin and Chris Harris are way too inexperienced imo to be seriously considered.

Only Jim Leonhard and Ejiro Evero stands out among the group. Perhaps Ryan Nielsen somewhat too.

I did a bit of research over at FF and came up with a list of candidates. There were some names that stood out for me:

Jim Leonhard, Kris Richard, Chris Hewitt, Dave Merritt, Brendan Daly, Ejiro Evero, Larry Foote, Jerod Mayo, Kacy Rodgers, Jerome Henderson and Todd Wash

I noticed 8 out of those 11 names I was looking at are black and I wondered if it hinted towards the higher likelihood our next coordinator would be black.

But so far looking at the names of confirmed interviews only 3 out of 9 candidates are black (not counting Kris Richard - not yet confirmed) which is a bit disappointing but this can always change quickly as the coordinator search goes on.

Historically I think the Packers really do need to do better. The Packers never had a black head coach in their history. As for coordinators you have to go all the way back to 1999 when we had both black offensive and defensive coordinators. We didn't hire one again for a long time until Edgar Bennett. At the very least we should be incorporating more black coaches in our interviews.
Ray Rhodes. Did you forget that amazing year?
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote: Ray Rhodes. Did you forget that amazing year?
You beat me to it. Who could forget that clusterhump?

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I only supported the Packers since 2008.

I went back on all former head coaches and googled all the names I didn't know and all of them showed up white. somehow I accidentally skipped over Rhodes in the process. Whoops.

:thwap:

Anyway my point still stands. We could and should do much more especially in the interview process.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I care about Super Bowls. I want a DC that gives us the best chance to win a Super Bowl. If he's black, then I want him. If there's an indonesian transvestite out there who is football genius and will give us the best chance, then I have him (her?) Just get us someone who can take us to the damn promise land, don't care who.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Chilli wrote:

Pretty sure Jerry Gray had some top 5 defenses in Buffalo.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Chilli wrote:

Why should we be incorporating more black coaches in our interviews?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Sucks about Phillips, if true. However, I don't really care who we get as long as they win and do what MLF apparently wants which is bring that certain killer attitude. Frankly I don't know the slightest about the various candidates other than whatever results they have that I can google.

I can say Richard was not the most well-liked in Dallas. I would have written him off entirely except for the fact that he was the coach for perhaps the unit most associated with what I want, the Legion of Boom. But I wonder how much of that was him and how much was Schneider picking "guys who would win in a street fight".

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You can add Todd Wash to the list of unavailable. He took a job with Detroit as their DL coach.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Rant incoming. I thought of another name I would like. Jim Schwartz. I know he just announced he was going to take 2021 off but maybe that's just because nobody gave him any offers.

Anyway, I was thinking today about how angry I am that we keep losing the big games and how pathetic we are because of it. I'm tired of always sitting on the sidelines watching some random collection of assholes catch fire for a year out of nowhere and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl instead of us. Hate to say it, but I finally figured out what the feeling I had was, and it is distinctly the same feeling I had a few times in my college days whenever some other dude would go home with whatever girl I was hitting on at the time. Didn't happen often but man was that the worst feeling. And that's what repeatedly losing in the NFCCG feels like.

We deserve it more than these random clowns who come from obscurity, have one good year, and then go back to sucking. Antoine Winfield Jr. doesn't deserve jack &%$@. Suh, Brown, Gronk, and Brady are all just leeches who want to be like LeBron and go make a super team in Florida, and it's not right. Devin White's a good player but $%@# him. I'm rooting for KC purely because I'm a sore loser and I'm not going to apologize for that. I hope Mahomes beats the &%$@ out of them and denies Bruce Arians a ring again. He did nothing but choose to coach in a warm, sunny locale with no state income taxes.

So, because of this, I want a defense that is more than just tough- I want one that does anything it takes to win, including cheating or bounties or targeting or holding on every play or whatever. I'm tired of being humiliated. We've had a stigma of being "soft" for close to 8 years now and it's time to get rid of that.

You know how Detroit finally became somewhat respectable in the early 2010s? They signed a bunch of thugs and that's who I want. And the architect of that was Jim Schwartz, who almost got into a fight with Jim Harbaugh during a postgame handshake. That's the kind of spirit we need in Titletown. I want guys who would be in prison if not for the good influence that football brings. First person I'd call is Vontaze because he knows what it takes to be a jackass. And then draft some guys who are willing to take dives like that no-talent hack 5th string WR did against Kevin King on the scam PI call.

It's time to quit $%@# around with being family friendly and get some guys who know how to win by any means necessary.