Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Captain_Ben wrote:
09 Mar 2022 14:23
NCF wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:29
Just feeling the need to throw this in here since it now seems like I am on a one man island, but I still fully believe Jordan Love is the future QB of the Green Bay Packers. Next year? The year after? I don't have all the answers, but I still remain convicted in my beliefs that the Packers will still turn the keys to this franchise over to Love one day.
How could anyone sincerely believe this? Not saying it'll never happen, but come on.
Because I believe our toolsy 23 year old QB with a ton of upside who was drafted knowing he needed a ton of refinement still might need more refinement after 1 start and a few mop up appearances.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Love believes in himself, we will hear he wants out now. As it’s obvious it will be a while before he starts in GB.

If he knows he sucks he will smartly collect paychecks riding the pine.

Not a bad situation either way!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2022 15:07
If Love believes in himself, we will hear he wants out now. As it’s obvious it will be a while before he starts in GB.

There would be no reason to ask out. He won the lottery when he got first round money. He never even dressed his first year. Was super Boyle on the team that year? Cant remember.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

No reason for Love to ask out, no reason for the Packers to sell him low. He's about the same age as most of the first round QB's, keep working him. If he starts showing signs of stardom great, if not it is what it is.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah, no reason to trade him. Keep developing him. If not for the cap, I would probably even re-sign him now while his value is probably as low as it will be.

I still think he isn't the answer, if I had to pick, but Rodgers coming back means that we can still hold onto him in case I am wrong.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I really don't get all this fuss over Love, or the urgency about his future, he had a rough outing against a quality defense during a regular season game, and signs of progress in the PS games, but it's easy to see that he shows some ability and that he is still struggling with the speed of the NFL, imo it's still pretty hard to tell how much that will change, we paid a hefty price for him, shouldn't give up yet, give him another season, we need a backup anyway.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Two things: the Super Bowl doubters should look at history. You have to be more than good to win a Super Bowl. Niners safety makes the INT against Rams and guess what. Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl, Seahawks ignoring Lynch by the goal line. We're good and we need to be on the right side of those breaks to close the deal. Have to be lucky and good to win SB.

As for Love, if the coaching staff feels he's our best option for backup, I'm fine with it. Just because Brady never got hurt doesn't mean Rodgers will stay healthy these next few years. Love is cheap right now so if he coaches believe he can win games if needed, I'm ok with it.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:

Definitely. He now has the knowledge that he will be sitting for possibly 4 years. That goes into this first contract. If he believes in himself he will want to play and sign that first non rookie contract for big money. It will be a significantly different contract if he hits free agency with no starting time after 5 years.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

packman114 wrote:
09 Mar 2022 18:03
Two things: the Super Bowl doubters should look at history. You have to be more than good to win a Super Bowl. Niners safety makes the INT against Rams and guess what. Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl, Seahawks ignoring Lynch by the goal line. We're good and we need to be on the right side of those breaks to close the deal. Have to be lucky and good to win SB.
oh I am looking at history, that's the problem. I would say our luck was fine in the last two playoff losses. Jaire got two very opportune picks in the TB game, Gary made that huge stop to give our O the ball back at a critical moment in the game. All we had to do was capitalize and put the game away with a scoring drive. Nope.

You have to be lucky and good, yes. You also have to be good when it matters, and good after getting lucky.

In all of our last three playoff losses, our O played so poorly that I found myself actively hoping the defense would get a score for us ala 2010 v. Chicago because the O clearly was not going to get the job done. It's one thing to have one of those bad games, playoff teams are tough. Three years in a row, though? That's concerning.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
09 Mar 2022 18:27
Drj820 wrote:

Definitely. He now has the knowledge that he will be sitting for possibly 4 years. That goes into this first contract. If he believes in himself he will want to play and sign that first non rookie contract for big money. It will be a significantly different contract if he hits free agency with no starting time after 5 years.
Exactly. If Love believes in himself and doesn’t think it’s in his best interest to hide out, he should kick and scream his way out of town so he can get big boy paid in two years.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
09 Mar 2022 14:57
Captain_Ben wrote:
NCF wrote:
Just feeling the need to throw this in here since it now seems like I am on a one man island, but I still fully believe Jordan Love is the future QB of the Green Bay Packers. Next year? The year after? I don't have all the answers, but I still remain convicted in my beliefs that the Packers will still turn the keys to this franchise over to Love one day.
How could anyone sincerely believe this? Not saying it'll never happen, but come on.
Because I believe our toolsy 23 year old QB with a ton of upside who was drafted knowing he needed a ton of refinement still might need more refinement after 1 start and a few mop up appearances.
Shut up. Logic has no place here.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
09 Mar 2022 14:57
Captain_Ben wrote:
NCF wrote:
And on the opposite, those who've seen him play one start in regular season and several PS games would believe that what they've seen is the entire package, even when he has mostly played with the backups.

Which way of believing is more sensible? I go with the side that says that Love, whose lone start was hardly any different than Aaron Rodger's first start (might've actually been better) will be just fine.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Madcity_matt wrote:
09 Mar 2022 15:33
No reason for Love to ask out, no reason for the Packers to sell him low. He's about the same age as most of the first round QB's, keep working him. If he starts showing signs of stardom great, if not it is what it is.
Maybe this is what you meant, but Love is actually YOUNGER than some of the guys who'll be drafted in the first round THIS year.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

packman114 wrote:
09 Mar 2022 18:03
This is it. Had our special teams not messed up that one play we likely make it to the NFC Championship game.

Building the perfect roster is nice, but I'd rather have a merely good roster and a bit more luck with injuries and which way the ball bounces.

American sports are structured in such a way that it's not the best team that necessarily wins each year. Along with the draft and salary cap it's part of how parity is created.

All you can do is make the playoffs and get hot/lucky. If you have a great QB then you have a puncher's chance every year. That's how we did it in 2010.

Also, the top 5 QBs in the NFC this year:

Rodgers
Stafford
Kyler
Dak
Fields/Lance/Kirk?

It's a bit of a wasteland. 2022 Packers may be worse on paper than last year but I bet their Superbowl odds won't have shifted all that much.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Mar 2022 01:21
Madcity_matt wrote:
09 Mar 2022 15:33
Maybe this is what you meant, but Love is actually YOUNGER than some of the guys who'll be drafted in the first round THIS year.
:-)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Anything new on AR contract/extension?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
10 Mar 2022 14:04
I am guessing it won’t be signed until right before the league new year after they see what they can do with Jaire and Davante

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2022 14:12
wallyuwl wrote:
I am guessing it won’t be signed until right before the league new year after they see what they can do with Jaire and Davante
Or Preston, or Amos, etc. Gute said Rodgers was going to be the first domino, so let's see it.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
10 Mar 2022 15:06
BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2022 14:12
wallyuwl wrote:
Or Preston, or Amos, etc. Gute said Rodgers was going to be the first domino, so let's see it.
I'm guessing they know what they are gunna do, within reason but got like 2-4 million they can move around between years if they need.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
My hope is if we keep Love let's hope Clements can do for him what he did with Rodgers.