Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Realist wrote:
09 Mar 2022 15:23
Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2022 15:07
If Love believes in himself, we will hear he wants out now. As it’s obvious it will be a while before he starts in GB.

If he knows he sucks he will smartly collect paychecks riding the pine.

Not a bad situation either way!
There would be no reason to ask out. He won the lottery when he got first round money. He never even dressed his first year. Was super Boyle on the team that year? Cant remember.
Yes, Boyle was #2 and Love was inactive for each game his rookie year.
Last edited by Pugger on 10 Mar 2022 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
10 Mar 2022 15:06
BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2022 14:12
wallyuwl wrote:
10 Mar 2022 14:04
Anything new on AR contract/extension?
I am guessing it won’t be signed until right before the league new year after they see what they can do with Jaire and Davante
Or Preston, or Amos, etc. Gute said Rodgers was going to be the first domino, so let's see it.
I think that was referring to if he was coming back or not. They probably know ballpark what the AR extension will look like so I don't think it needs to be signed before moving on to other contract negotiations.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Rich Eisen was playing around with the thought that maybe the Rodgers contract will, in reality, be a one year bridge. That would get him a “reloaded” season to try to win the SB again. That would get the Packers one more year to prep Love (all due respect to BF004’s wonderful Love photo!). And it would also allow the Pack to manage their cap better heading toward a rebuild.

I could give that scenario a 25% likelihood. But no more than that. I think that Rodgers retires as a Packer, as long as he keeps his attitude in check.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Mar 2022 04:50
Rich Eisen was playing around with the thought that maybe the Rodgers contract will, in reality, be a one year bridge. That would get him a “reloaded” season to try to win the SB again. That would get the Packers one more year to prep Love (all due respect to BF004’s wonderful Love photo!). And it would also allow the Pack to manage their cap better heading toward a rebuild.

I could give that scenario a 25% likelihood. But no more than that. I think that Rodgers retires as a Packer, as long as he keeps his attitude in check.
To bring AR's cap hit down for this year, and to try max out the roster for a one-year Last Dance II, that would inevitably lead to a much worse cap situation next year, not better. A one-year push would mean a rough cap purge year right after.

The only way to smooth the cap over without a cap hell year would be to hand out long extensions, enabling rising TV and gambling money to catch up over years, and to be be frugal with UFAs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

awe shucks, lets bring this bad boy in, trade Rodgers to whomever will pay the most, in or out of the division, who cares if we have to face that choker twice a year, sign Tae to whatever the hell will keep him Happy, and Have Kaepernick take us to the promised land, and tutor Love on the finer points of kneeling, Come on Gutekunst give this boy a chance. :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-49e ... rn-to-nfl-

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Mar 2022 05:28
Scott4Pack wrote:

To bring AR's cap hit down for this year, and to try max out the roster for a one-year Last Dance II, that would inevitably lead to a much worse cap situation next year, not better. A one-year push would mean a rough cap purge year right after.

The only way to smooth the cap over without a cap hell year would be to hand out long extensions, enabling rising TV and gambling money to catch up over years, and to be be frugal with UFAs.
Yup. But I don't rule out anything. Maybe the 25% that I give to Eisen's scenario is a little over the top. But as a Packer fan, I think we win the SB this coming year. Then, Aaron changes direction and wants to play for SF. We trade him and still gain some premium picks. and that alleviates the dead money a bit.
:-)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Big news if true. I was really thinking this was going to be a 1 year and done deal. 2 years, I can stomach a bit more.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Two more sounds good to me. 🙂
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Mar 2022 05:28
Scott4Pack wrote:

Properly structured to that end it could use void years to spread the hit of this year over several. It wouldn't be that messy.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

paco wrote:
11 Mar 2022 11:27
Big news if true. I was really thinking this was going to be a 1 year and done deal. 2 years, I can stomach a bit more.
If Nags' source is right, Rodgers deal sounds like it could be a two year thing.

That would take him up to the end of year 4 of Love's rookie deal.

It gives the Packers two years to assess Love and if they like him by the end of year 4, try and sign him to a cheapish unproven starter deal like Rodgers signed after his rookie contract expired.

Or, after this coming year, they could decide Love shows enough promise that they trigger his 5th year option and they hand him the keys for a pricey, but low risk, starting gig in 2024, after which they either let him walk or re-sign him.

Or maybe they think Love stinks and they trade him this off-season. I guess we find out soon enough.

Considering his low cost, his backup value and how few legit QBs there are, I can see how Gute would be keen to hold on to Love if Rodgers is flirting with retirement and may only want to commit for 2 years.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Feb 2022 10:59
paco wrote:
25 Feb 2022 09:50
Yoop wrote:
25 Feb 2022 09:36

why should she deserve respect? because as APB attest, she passes the eye test? that to me doesn't qualify her, she's a media person hired by ESPN because she's a good looking female and has a graduate degree, if she was ugly she'd be selling something besides gossip :idn:

any ten yr old can come to the conclusion that a recent 2 time MVP deserves to be the highest paid player in the league, that is until ya figure in age and his accomplishments in post season games, where Rodgers hasn't done to well.
Everyone deserves respect until they give you a reason not to. Dianna did nothing wrong. Did she break any massive news? No. But I don't understand the crap people are giving her. APB is just being funny with the looks stuff. It's personal opinion and obviously doesn't matter. Actually, I think he's just in puberty and gets going easily. :rotf:

I know she's a new name to some, but she's been around for a while now. She was obviously holding back some more details. You can tell she's not quite good at the rumor mill stuff yet. Takes a while to be able to convey stuff correctly while not revealing too much and sound good doing it.
I give here the same respect as I do most sports media people, not much because most inflate the facts or simply voice there biased opinions with no facts to back that up.

as I said this talk that Rodgers should be the highest paid player, or that he is demanding that money is speculation, till I hear something from Rodgers or the team I have my doubts to it's validity.
Time to apologize to dianna yoop
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

For what it’s worth, I like to hold older pro athletes up to a guy who used to play tennis named Jimmy Connors. Jimmy was once a top player during a golden age of tennis. But age definitely caught up with him, as it would for anybody. Thing is, when he was once ranked #1 in the world, he gradually slipped to the bottom half of the top ten, even falling out of the top ten altogether.

People used to tell Jimmy that he should retire from pro tennis. His constant claim was, “Why? I love to play!” Jimmy kept playing, even at a much lower level than in his past, because he loved to play tennis.

I actually remembered Jimmy a lot when Brett Favre was getting older. Brett’s skills never seemed to diminish much. But his love for the game was always there. That’s really what drove him. I see that in Tom Brady, more for wanting to be so competitive than a real love for the game perhaps.

For Aaron Rodgers, we’re already talking much about his demise from Green Bay. There are many factors. But as long as he wants to play at a high enough level and doesn’t price us out of being competitive (yeah, I hear what some will say now), then I’m all for him continuing to be a Green Bay Packer.

bobsacamano
Reactions:

Post by bobsacamano »

Waldo wrote:
08 Mar 2022 19:28
If the team could get a good pick (2nd or 3+something) for Love I wouldn't be upset if they traded him. I haven't really seen anything out of him anyways to be excited about, I don't see a superstar there. Even if he turns out ok, like a Flacco tier guy, I think they can aim higher. Always shoot for the stars at QB.

I can't say I'm super excited about keeping Rodgers though. I'm ready for that jerk to leave. Even though he's winning MVP's, he's been pretty crap in the playoffs since winning the SB.
Translation: Rodgers dosen't agree with my political opinions, so now he's a jerk who only wins MVPs. lol.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

bobsacamano wrote:
22 Apr 2022 15:08
Waldo wrote:
08 Mar 2022 19:28
If the team could get a good pick (2nd or 3+something) for Love I wouldn't be upset if they traded him. I haven't really seen anything out of him anyways to be excited about, I don't see a superstar there. Even if he turns out ok, like a Flacco tier guy, I think they can aim higher. Always shoot for the stars at QB.

I can't say I'm super excited about keeping Rodgers though. I'm ready for that jerk to leave. Even though he's winning MVP's, he's been pretty crap in the playoffs since winning the SB.
Translation: Rodgers dosen't agree with my political opinions, so now he's a jerk who only wins MVPs. lol.
That’s a whole lot of projection there.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I would not like to get banned for draft week for bringing politics to the football forum.

So let's not.