Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It is that simple, simply stop attacking my post, I can't hardly make a comment.

I admit to being wrong defending WAlly, but his point had validity, either Guty or Wolf made the choice to over look TJ Watt in that draft, maybe it was a consensus of both, the point is it's very doubtful that Ted had much to do with it.

Wally doesn't like the job Gute has done as GM, I don't like some of his draft choices either.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

We went to a nfc championship game and then gute trades up for a back up qb and then a back up Rb and then a fb.

The game we lost the other teams running back had 4 tds and 220 yards.

The current qb then went on to win back to back mvps whilst the drafted qb watched. The Rb continues to be a back up to the recently resigned better Rb and the fb has had the impact of a guy selling hot dogs at a stand.

That is enough to say gute is an idiot.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Apr 2023 11:07
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Apr 2023 10:48
Since this thread has gone off the rails anyway, now seems maybe a good time to impart a little advice I've always had for debate/argument in public spaces.

And look, have fun and post however you like. A lot of people don't like how I post. So I'm no better or worse than anyone else.

But a guideline I try to hold to is that when debating in public, argue for the outside listener/reader, not for the person you're arguing against. Once you feel confident that an objective reader would find merit in what you have to say as opposed to your adversary.

Once you feel satisfied that the reader will be able to weigh your side and theirs, let the other person continue to be wrong. You don't have to keep going at each other correcting each misstep. If you try to convince someone that THEY are wrong, it rarely resolves itself. But if you try to convince people that someone else is wrong, you can do so with quick work and move on.

Just a thought. Like I said, post as you wish. Just seems like many people are having issues with the way things are going so I thought I'd share.
I declare peace!

image.png
I knew I should have installed an unlike button (stupid Viking logo), just to keep this running. Drama sells :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
22 Apr 2023 15:33
We went to a nfc championship game and then gute trades up for a back up qb and then a back up Rb and then a fb.

The game we lost the other teams running back had 4 tds and 220 yards.

The current qb then went on to win back to back mvps whilst the drafted qb watched. The Rb continues to be a back up to the recently resigned better Rb and the fb has had the impact of a guy selling hot dogs at a stand.

That is enough to say gute is an idiot.
Be careful. Giving opinions without wearing your green and yellow glasses can be risky business around here.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

I really like cheese curds. :rimshot:
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2023 10:47
Acrobat wrote:
21 Apr 2023 08:45
Labrev wrote:
20 Apr 2023 20:07
I heard that TT had been phased out and that Gute was more-or-less in charge of the draft that year. Dunno how true it is, certainly a hearsay thing so take that for what you will.
Unfortunately he was in cognitive decline for a while. I have a relative who, let's just say, works for the team and is close enough to know a good amount of things, and he said that it was obvious just by being in the room or elevator with TT that he was really struggling.
I also knew someone who worked for the team that year and they said people couldn’t tell TT anything after around 2pm or else he’d have forgotten it the next day and you’d have to have the conversation again.

It was BAD bad. It was professional malpractice not to have removed him.

That said, we still have no knowledge or insight into who was getting final say or calling the shots on that draft, and it’s absolutely silly to try to use those picks to evaluate any individual member of the GB front office from the outside. I bet looking back, even people *in the draft room* would bicker about who was to blame with different viewpoints.
I agree that the record is unclear as to who was specifically responsible for making the 2017 draft picks and thus that blaming Gutey for those particular picks is unfair.

I disagree that it is unfair (or silly) to use the 2017 draft picks to evaluate any individual member of the front office.

There was one member of the front office who was charged with making sure that Ted Thompson was sufficiently competent to perform his GM duties.

By all accounts, Thompson was not competent to perform those duties leading up to the 2017 draft and there are is now significant evidence that he may not have been medically competent for 2-3 years before he was finally relieved of his duties.

Allowing Ted to be zeroed in on broadcasts looking as he did reminded me of late in life shots of Raiders owner Al Davis - both formerly esteemed front office men whose age/health rendered them unable to carry out their duties at the end.

The only difference between the 2 scenarios being that Davis owned the Raiders and there was no one in a position to save him from himself whereas in Green Bay there was someone who had both the authority and a duty to take action when it came to Thompson — a duty he failed to perform.

I very much concur that a multi-billion dollar corporation allowing an incompetent individual to occupy its chief talent acquisition position for multiple years is per se management malpractice.

Unfortunately, in my view, once the Packers belatedly removed Thompson as GM, the person most responsible for the professional malpractice and the lone member of the front office who indisputably bears responsibility for the 2017 draft (because he ultimately permitted the disarray that then existed among the staff responsible for acquiring talent) ended up accumulating even more power within the front office.

I know that some will lament his departure when he retires in just over 2 years, but as for me, when it comes to the product on the field, I will not for one second regret Mark Murthy’s departure.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Who is to say that Ted was a GM in name only, and that someone else or perhaps a committee was doing his job? What would it hurt as long as everyone except Ted knew that he was not really in charge of anything. It is not as if having a senile old man as a powerless figurehead would lead to all out nuclear war or something. Oh wait...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

seems a lot of fans want to blame someone for us being the 2nd winningest team the last 3 decades :rotf:

no one ever gets it perfect, sure Murphy should have stepped in sooner, but then there are loyalty issues, Ted did so much for so long, devoted his life to the GB Packers, obviously Murphy took that into consideration, also other issues where front and center for him to deal with as well, a head coach who had lost control of the team, a DC who lost control of the defense, and a QB that may or may not have been asking for a trade, whatever Murphy paid him a 120 mil. to cool his jets in early 2018.

this last 3 or so years mimics the run up to the last QB switch in 08, it's the price ya pay for having a long tenured face of the franchise QB.

no matter what happens ever, we can always look back and THINK we could have done better IF only this or that would have happened, just human nature. :dunno:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think Rodgers thought the same thing I did when he got TT and MM up outta here.

I don’t think it ever crossed his mind that we could possibly end up with a worse GM and a weaker coach. But here we are.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

8-) 8-) :dunno: 8-) :messedup: :messedup:
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2023 14:23
What in the world does this have to do with Ted Thompson and the 2017 draft? :rotf: :dunno: 8-)
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

deadlines spur action
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
**snip**
Just as teams have finalized their draft big-boards. So yeah, unless either side engages in funny business at the last minute, the trade is probably happening on draft night.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bogey wrote:
23 Apr 2023 15:53
8-) 8-) :dunno: 8-) :messedup: :messedup:
BF004 wrote:
What in the world does this have to do with Ted Thompson and the 2017 draft? :rotf: :dunno: 8-)
right, peoples just can't stop bringing this Rodgers guy into the conversation :rotf:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

One reporter mentioned that the Pack might like to do some modification to the contract AND that any mod would need to settle for 24 hours before a trade can occur. So, I am wondering, if that’s correct, if the deal is done on Wednesday and only made public on Thursday or Friday nights.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2023 12:43
One reporter mentioned that the Pack might like to do some modification to the contract AND that any mod would need to settle for 24 hours before a trade can occur. So, I am wondering, if that’s correct, if the deal is done on Wednesday and only made public on Thursday or Friday nights.
I've never heard of a "24 hour settle" rule...?

I would think just as soon as the contracts are signed and submitted to the league office, they'd be active based upon the signature date.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We did it, folks!! This thread brought the END of the Rodgers regime in Green Bay!! :beer2:

:guitar:
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Jan 2023 20:02
What is purpose of this thread? It's left me speechless so far.
—Magneto