2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I normally wanted to stay away from the big #1 wide receiver prospects because our receiver group was always big and perceived "slow"

But now with Watson and Doubs having ability after the catch....I would very much be in favor of that Tee Higgens, AJ Brown, Drake London type athlete.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Also, while on-paper we have starting-caliber players across the IOL (Jenkins-Myers-Runyan), I have to say the *variance* we are getting from Myers and JRJ is driving me crazy, enough that I would strongly consider an upgrade over either.

I liked Kenyon Green very much in last year's draft because the guy could just flat-out dominate the guy across from him, and tbh after watching this season unfold, I feel like I had the right idea there.

We got out-physicaled one too many times, it's high time we find some guys that will tilt the physicality battle in our favor.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jan 2023 11:42
3.) D-Line

Loved what I saw from Wyatt and Slaton late, and Clark is a stud, but we can use another player in Wyatt's mold. DL is the most important position group IMO after QB, look at Philly's resurgence.
Labrev, Wyatt was a non factor with the win over the Vikings, and has been a non factor most of the year against the run, that is the biggest reason for his low snap count, and why Lowry saw the snaps he got, Reed was by a wide margin the best addition to this DL in a few years.

I hope Slaton has a 3rd year leap, imo thats when DT's start to show there value, not that I don't think Wyatt will get better I'am counting on it, but he has to do better as a run defender.

earlier I read this draft will have a bumper crop of good OL, and we could use a guy, who knows how long Bahk will play.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2023 11:57
I normally wanted to stay away from the big #1 wide receiver prospects because our receiver group was always big and perceived "slow"

But now with Watson and Doubs having ability after the catch....I would very much be in favor of that Tee Higgens, AJ Brown, Drake London type athlete.
Olave was best in this draft class, not saying that will continue, but his route running ability really shown bright for him as a rookie, always open, thats what separated him from the others, conversely once DC had film on Doubs they new and found ways to destroy his route timing, so when Rodgers did have time to read route progressions Doubs was not at his transition points, that and some nagging hurts and bruises hampered Doubs as the season progressed, at least from the few games I did rewatch, Doubs biggest problem was getting off the los clean, to often I saw him slowed unable to hip fake his defender.

Bigger guys are more able to muscle the DB, smaller guys have to use finesse and better tech, I like Doubs and hope he improves, but that to me is the main reason we didn't see Doubs continue to excel as he had earlier.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2023 14:01
go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2023 11:57

Olave was best in this draft class, not saying that will continue, but his route running ability really shown bright for him as a rookie, always open, thats what separated him from the others, conversely once DC had film on Doubs they new and found ways to destroy his route timing, so when Rodgers did have time to read route progressions Doubs was not at his transition points, that and some nagging hurts and bruises hampered Doubs as the season progressed, at least from the few games I did rewatch, Doubs biggest problem was getting off the los clean, to often I saw him slowed unable to hip fake his defender.
What games did you see this with Doubs? He hardly played since he was injured on the first play of the game in Detroit.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Big game tonight, great chance to scout our first round pick on D from GA tonight.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Nov 2022 07:41
Where does everyone go for draft info these days? Seems like the best sources changes about every 2-3 years. Looking for a good podcast. Don’t really care for lockedon or the draft network guys. Any under the radar podcasters delivering high quality content?
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0595326199

Thought this was a nice listen. I found Steve ‘Sparky’ Fifer to be not at all annoying, which is one of the best compliments I feel like you can give a podcaster.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
21 Jan 2023 11:56
BF004 wrote:
Where does everyone go for draft info these days? Seems like the best sources changes about every 2-3 years. Looking for a good podcast. Don’t really care for lockedon or the draft network guys. Any under the radar podcasters delivering high quality content?

Thought this was a nice listen. I found Steve ‘Sparky’ Fifer to be not at all annoying, which is one of the best compliments I feel like you can give a podcaster.
makes sense, a receiving TE made Lafleurs 2020 offense a tough unit to defend, drafting a TE would seem the missing piece, wanna make the transition to Love easier, then draft Mayer.

as much as we depend on Lewis for his blocking on run sets, Dequara is now starting to fill that roll, but Mayer does both and also the receiving ability Tonyan brought a few years back.

I tend to agree with Sparky, if Hokenson went top 10, so will Mayer, we'll have to trade up to get him.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

1st round TEs are just bad positional value for a 1st round pick. Looking at all the best TEs we have seen over the years they are rarely 1st round picks. In fact they’re more likely to bust.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Thank you for bringing this! I think we are in a position to really go after any player or position. Mayer is an absolutely huge human being...but I don't get the 1st round hype.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2023 14:03
BF004 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Thank you for bringing this! I think we are in a position to really go after any player or position. Mayer is an absolutely huge human being...but I don't get the 1st round hype.
I agree, I frankly like Jelani Woods better last year, at this point right now. I really don’t see a first round player.

You better be damned special to go in the first if you aren’t at a premium position, let alone not even a secondary premium position.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am wondering if the Packers are more compelled to use a very high draft pick (round 1 or 2) this year for a TE. Our Red Zone problems would motivate this, I hope. And there are one or two real good TEs available. Maybe Guty makes the move this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I really have no clue what our TE strategy is going to be this year.

Daguara and Davis under contract only.

TE seems to be one of the slowest developing, least impactful for rookies, of all positions.

Even taking a top 10 pick, don’t think we’d see a better room this year, maybe down the road. Definitely, hopefully, going to need a somebody who can play next year.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TE tends to be a nice security-blanket for a young QB, and Love seems like a guy who will actually bother to throw some passes over the middle. On top of that, the Kubiak scheme tends to work a lot better with a TE who can make plays. It can also give us another solid receiving target to pair with Watson and Doubs (yes, there are ways to help the passing game other than drafting countless WRs).

I would oppose drafting a TE in Round 1 probably 7 times out of 10, but I think we may fall within the 3 instances where it would be a fine pick for us.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I have zero problem drafting a TE Round 1 this year. I think it makes a lot of sense. I just don't see a tight end worthy of that spot.

But I also am willing to admit I don't know much about football and people seem to love Mayer. I just don't get it based on the highlights I see. He seems slow, bulky and clunky.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Needs to address in the first 3 rounds:
Safety
Edge
TE
WR

Not in first 3 rounds:
RB - If we stick with Jones, he and Dillon are a fine pair.
OL - 5 starters and 2 backups Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom w/ Nijman, Newman
QB - Unless we trade Love, not a first 2 day need
ILB - Campbell, Walker
CB - Douglas, Stokes, Alexander
DT - Wyatt, Clark, Slaton, Slayton, Ford - Possible Rd. 2 or 3 add
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

"And safeties, if you look at points saved (...) they are actually on the super-high end of value, up there with the high-end pass-rushers. A guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick is as valuable or more as a player like Nick Bosa, because they're on the field for 100% of snaps." (+ a player 80-grade player that plays 100% of snaps is more valuable overall than a 90-grade player that plays 80% of the snaps, at some point it's just math).

Say what you want about this guy but I think he perfectly stated why S and TE are two positions that would add the most value to our team, which is also why I (bottom of last page) went with those two positions as our biggest draft needs this year.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2023 13:35
1st round TEs are just bad positional value for a 1st round pick. Looking at all the best TEs we have seen over the years they are rarely 1st round picks. In fact they’re more likely to bust.
You have done a lot of scouting. Why is that? Why aren’t these guys more predictable in the NFL. I generally think it is more scheme fit than talent, but plenty of guys seem to end up in good situations and still don’t produce. I still think it is such a transformational position to an offense that it should be valued higher.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2023 12:25
Yeah I have zero problem drafting a TE Round 1 this year. I think it makes a lot of sense. I just don't see a tight end worthy of that spot.

But I also am willing to admit I don't know much about football and people seem to love Mayer. I just don't get it based on the highlights I see. He seems slow, bulky and clunky.
thanks for the compliment, oh wait, my bad, I thought you gave me one :bkw:

TE is a tough transition to pro ball because coaches are so concerned with the guy missing a block and Rodgers is do do, but see we don't give two &%$@ if Rodgers is road kill, we gots us a Jarod Love :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :dance: :heart: :pray: :jam:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
22 Jan 2023 12:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2023 13:35
You have done a lot of scouting. Why is that? Why aren’t these guys more predictable in the NFL. I generally think it is more scheme fit than talent, but plenty of guys seem to end up in good situations and still don’t produce. I still think it is such a transformational position to an offense that it should be valued higher.
cripes we waited for ice cubes to melt in hell before we thought Gary was ready to play, a seasons wait on a TE doesn't sound like a long time, and just use the guy as a receiver, imo it is team fit, or what the team expects from a rookie TE, is it the route designs, or is it the blocking assignments? I think mostly the later.