Packers @ Giants GDT: Sunday, Oct. 9th, 8:30 AM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RPO and we decided, again, to P...

Might have to do away with the RPO as our QB doesn't look like he wants to R...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2022 10:07

Look at the coverage too - such a low percentage play. Foolish, foolish decision by our 50M QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RPO doesn't work to well when the QB wont hand off the ball when he should, Rodgers has the option to do either, our RB's touched the ball only 19 times, we pass more because Rodgers wants to pass more.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:

It's the 3rd down that makes still even more mad.

Run it on 3rd down because you know you are in 4 down territory. Give AJ a chance to move the chains.

At worst, you force them to call a TO or end their chance at getting into FG range with a tying score.

At best, your RB gets you 2 - 6 yards which he has done literally all day and you give yourself another 4 downs or see it tied.

On the flip side, a pass has more negative outcomes: a sack, an incompletion (stops the clock) or a turnover.

It was just so dumb to pass on 3rd down. I hated it so much. I still hate it so much.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
10 Oct 2022 10:55
Pckfn23 wrote:

Run it on 3rd down because you know you are in 4 down territory. Give AJ a chance to move the chains.

At worst, you force them to call a TO or end their chance at getting into FG range with a tying score.

At best, your RB gets you 2 - 6 yards which he has done literally all day and you give yourself another 4 downs or see it tied.

On the flip side, a pass has more negative outcomes: a sack, an incompletion (stops the clock) or a turnover.

It was just so dumb to pass on 3rd down. I hated it so much. I still hate it so much.

That is what you get when the QB wants another MVP and does not care about winning games. And when your HC does not have the stones to read him the riot act and sit him if he continues to put himself above the team.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
09 Oct 2022 19:05
Pugger wrote:
09 Oct 2022 14:57
Backthepack4ever wrote:
09 Oct 2022 13:42
:thwap: barf

What a sorry excuse of football that was all around. The 2nd I'm speaking. Losing is one thing. Being out played out coached and out hustled is another. The Packers as a while got beat by a lesser team bc that team wanted it. Hopefully this is a wake up call bc I am questioning this teams drive and heart. I see a bunch of guys that talk the talk but not a team

Next week will be interesting. I'd expect a bounce back but.....
Anyone here thinking the Jets game will be any easier needs to rethink that one big time. They are beating Miami right now.
Agreed but it's a silly league. Miami or most anyone else doesn't scare me. Point being it a league of average. Nobody is great
If there is any team to be feared it could be Buffalo. They look like a well oiled machine.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:11
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

That is what you get when the QB wants another MVP and does not care about winning games. And when your HC does not have the stones to read him the riot act and sit him if he continues to put himself above the team.
How do you know AR doesn't want to win and it was his call to throw it on 3rd and 4th down?? I think you are being very presumptuous here.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:28

How do you know AR doesn't want to win and it was his call to throw it on 3rd and 4th down?? I think you are being very presumptuous here.
At least for the 4th down play I know for a fact it was an RPO. Look at the linemen blocking. Technically Myers is down field.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:

Guess I’m not seeing a handoff being that smart there. Right into the blitz and one of the best run defenders in the league. Meyers handles the blitz ok, but I don’t think Dillon gets past Dexter Lawrence there. Seems to have JRJ stood up well and has nice arm extension.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pugger wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:28
TheSkeptic wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It was AR's call. He signaled Lazard and chose to pass on a run-pass-option. The crap about AR not wanting to win is BS.

The Giants had 8 hats vs 6 blockers in the running game, the CBs had zero safety help. So choosing to pass wasn't insane as such. The way it unfolded, the blitzers likely wouldn't have had more than a dive for the ankles, and the blocking was great, so not running was a mistake. But only with the benefit of hindsight.

What actually sucks on this play is that AR chose to try to throw straight into the blitz instead of the side with 2 WRs. Cobb cleared room and Doubs woulda had a super easy quick 3 yarder and 1st down, maybe TD. No one in position to block it. :bkw:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:49
Guess I’m not seeing a handoff being that smart there. Right into the blitz and one of the best run defenders in the league. Meyers handles the blitz ok, but I don’t think Dillon gets past Dexter Lawrence there. Seems to have JRJ stood up well and has nice arm extension.
Everyone along the line is run blocking. There doesn't have to be a mesh in an RPO if the QB decides to pass at/before the snap. I'd put my money on Dillon getting those 2 yards with Myers eating the blitzing LB's lunch.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Maybe he gets it, normally a pass isn’t batted down.

Guess I’d opt away from running at Dexter Lawrence and a blitzing LB on a 4th in 2. Maybe audible into something else if there was time, dunno, haven’t checked. But I don’t have a problem with not handing that off there. I would have called a 100% run play on 3rd down though.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
10 Oct 2022 12:04
Maybe he gets it, normally a pass isn’t batted down.

Guess I’d opt away from running at Dexter Lawrence and a blitzing LB on a 4th in 2. Maybe audible into something else if there was time, dunno, haven’t checked. But I don’t have a problem with not handing that off there. I would have called a 100% run play on 3rd down though.
At minimum you go left to Cobb. Rodgers admitted as much as well.
RIP JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:55
BF004 wrote:
10 Oct 2022 11:49
Everyone along the line is run blocking. There doesn't have to be a mesh in an RPO if the QB decides to pass at/before the snap. I'd put my money on Dillon getting those 2 yards with Myers eating the blitzing LB's lunch.
There could also have been a penalty for illegal receiver downfield. At the very least, Rodgers should have changed the protection plan when he saw the possible unblocked pass rushers on the right side. I think a very important issue is that we don't trust our running game even when it is working. Way too many questionable decisions throughout this game.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

TheSkeptic wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

This may come as a surprise to some but the most talented QB of all time is going to possess quite a bit of confidence. Meaning, if given the choice between run and pass, he will opt to pass. I would expect nothing less out of a $50 million QB, which is why I won't blame him. You are correct that the HC needs to display some stones- not by benching him, but by assuming complete responsibility for playcalling. If AR doesn't like it, then bench him. No more "RPO's." The coach runs a team, not the QB.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

In an interview with mcafee recently rodgers mentioned how in his rookie year in film there was some debate on whether to run what you want to run and make the d stop it, or run what has highest odds and chances. Rodgers was strongly in the “play the percentages” camp. I think we see that play out often. If the d looks set up to stop the run, he will pass.

Well, what happens when the D knows that and gets in a look where they look like they are stopping run, and this Helps them know it will be a pass? I think we see that a lot too.

But while I appreciate rodgers wanted to play what looks like it will work best at the line, a team needs to have the mentality that no matter what the d shows...”we can get two yards in two plays with the two best backs in the league”. Meaning we dictate terms, not the d.

Huge problem I see is we let opponents dictate terms. We need the toughness to pound that rock no matter the look. It’s two freaking yards.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

My observations on Lafleurs coaching vs McCarthy.

I think Lafleur has a better offensive scheme than McCarthy.

McCarthy was a slightly better play caller.

McCarthy made better half time adjustments

It also seems that Lafleur’s teams don’t show enough toughness. They’re talented on paper and they talk a good game but it was clear in last year’s championship game against the Niners and now this game that when the other team is down, through perseverance and toughness the other team will themselves to victory.

Not because they’re better than the Packers. They just want it more.
Love is the answer…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think Lafluer is better then his QB allows him to be, we have run against run blitzes lots, our RB's have led the league in yards after first contact, I would have banged it on 3rd and 4th down, other then the 19 touches we gave Jones and Dillon and some of the passes to Cobb our offense lost that game because Rodgers took the ball from his best offensive weapons, and did practice for go routes, that did nothing but stall drives and gas our defense.

Rodgers lost that game yesterday, sure we can blame Stokes or Alexander as the media has done, and Barry for being a rock head, but Rodgers had the ability to tie that game, all he had to do was let his Rb's do it, huge fail.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

MLF just said in his PC that Aaron made the right call to pass on 4th down. Zero coverage blitz with 2 coming from the right, he said there's a good chance the safety runs down Dillon from behind because it was a short side blitz.

I believe Rodger said yesterday he should have changed the blocking on that meaning, I assume, that AJ should have been faking to the right so he could help with the blitzers.

From the sounds of the press conference they prefer the "run solution" when the defense shows 8 in the block. But we have two losses and he says the same thing. "Execution needs to be better" and "Jones & Dillon need more touches." He got outcoached plain and simple. If Jones & Dillon aren't getting the touches there is only one person to blame and that's him. Hell, we didn't pass to them either and you know they have pass plays for them in the playbook.

As for the defense, No one asked (that I heard) why we play so much zone on defense. He did say the defense was slow to get set on a lot of plays and that caused some misses on the crossing routes. When they were set we covered the crossing routes well according to him.